<< Back to all Blogs
Login or Create your own free blog
Home > $7500 for an attorney

$7500 for an attorney

June 14th, 2019 at 10:18 am

I just had a consultation with an attorney, the cost to retain is $7500. That’s my entire savings. I don’t know what I’m going to do.

13 Responses to “$7500 for an attorney ”

  1. Petunia 100 Says:

    Is your brother mentally stable? Does he really believe you did something dishonest or is he merely trying to get some money out of you?

    If it were me, I believe my first step would be to write a letter to my brother. I would let him know that I could account for every penny withdrawn and that it was all legitimate expenses. Then I would state that if I need to retain an attorney, I will be counter-suing for my legal expenses.

    I would give him a week or so to think it over, then I would retain the attorney.

  2. Amber Says:

    Petunia he’s mentally unstable, he honestly believes I stole his “inheritance” and I wouldn’t dare write a letter to him at this point. Personally I was scared to come home, I honestly think he would kill me. Greed has consumed him and his children as well as my other are the same, they’re just a tad but stable

  3. jp Says:

    nope, nope, nope, don't write a letter - you've already had legal altercations with him, let the attorney's deal with it.

    My rule of thumb for all services is 3 quotes - get in contact with 2 more attorneys.
    In your situation, while evaluating which attorney to use, i would FIRST take money out of the equation. How does the attorney make you feel? Do you feel confident they could win your case? Can they put an end to this mess? Can they help you keep him away (you are afraid of him - can they help with restraining orders, etc.)? What are their thoughts on the odds of counter suing? Once you've found someone who makes you feel confident and safe, then look at the money side. Yes, it might wipe out your savings, but your brother is going to keep doing this - you have to get the right person to get this all to stop. And, they should be able to help recoup the funds it's costing you. Pay a bit now to stop the drama and keep him away from you. Just my 2 cents Smile we're rooting for you!!

    (also, I think this stupid site deleted my last comments....can they help you get that check back that your brother sat on for too long? check into that one while you're at it too)

  4. debt-free by thir-ty Says:

    Do you have any sort of employee assistance program through work or any other work programs that may allow you discounted access to legal assistance?

    I'm so sorry that you're going through all of this when you've worked so hard to get to this point.

  5. crazyliblady Says:

    What about the lawyer you dealt with to settle the estate? Since he/she is already familiar with the situation, it might be an advantage.

  6. fireandi Says:

    Tell your brother (written so that you have documentation) that he is not to contact you again unless it's through HIS lawyer. Let him spend his money on retaining a lawyer, and maybe you'll have more luck talking with his lawyer and letting them know that you have documentation for how you've dealt with dad's estate.

    Also, if you are worried for your safety, please get a restraining order and then follow through on that by calling the cops if he tries to contact you.

    Please be safe. I'm sending thoughts and prayers your way.

  7. Joanne Says:

    So sorry Amber that you are going through this. I agree letting an attorney deal with him.Also call the police if you need to.A restraining order is also a good idea. Hopefully this just goes away, and he moves onto another idea. Stay strong.

  8. Wink Says:

    I'm sorry he is putting you through this Amber. I agree with the others about a restraining order. Stay safe.

  9. creditcardfree Says:

    Get two other quotes and actually sit down for a consult to make sure the least expensive is the right fit. I'm praying for you. Did your Dad have a will or anything in writing that your brother wasn't to get anything?

  10. creditcardfree Says:

  11. W Says:

    The passing of a family with assets, will bring out greed in most people. I think you unleashed the beast in your brother when you didn’t cash the check he held onto. You need to get into defense mode. If you have the following: 1) power of attorney at the time of the bank withdrawal , 2) you have records of how every dollar of the money withdrawn was spent, and 3) a will stating you were the executor, I don’t see why you can’t represent yourself. If you are missing any of the following, I would consult the estate attorney for advice or a referral. Interview multiple attorneys.

  12. MonkeyMama Says:

    I have no advice to add to the above, but my heart goes out to you, Amber. Stay strong; you are in the right.

  13. rob62521 Says:

    I'd wait before getting the attorney. Just make sure you have a written record and receipts of what you spent of your dad's money and where it all went. If you have it all accounted for, you could meet with your brother's attorney and show it to him or her and say everything is accounted for, so it is silly to sue. Let brother pay the attorney bill since you've done nothing wrong.

Leave a Reply

(Note: If you were logged in, we could automatically fill in these fields for you.)
Will not be published.

* Please spell out the number 4.  [ Why? ]

vB Code: You can use these tags: [b] [i] [u] [url] [email]